Introduction to Lipids
- Lipid Chemistry and Classification (Powerpoint slides) - An introduction to lipids; the role of lipid chemistry in development of the LIPID MAPS Classification System; introduction to the LIPID MAPS Structure Database (LMSD); introduction to the LIPID MAPS Proteome Database (LMPD); and more.
- Lipid Metabolomics (Powerpoint slides) - Based on lectures presented to medical students in the Cell Biology and Biochemistry course at the School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego.
- Lipid Definition - Definitions of lipids, biological lipids, and an introduction to how lipid chemistry is employed to organize lipids into categories.
- Categories of lipids: Fatty Acyls [FA] Glycerolipids [GL] Glycerophospholipids [GP] Sphingolipids [SP] Sterol lipids [ST] Prenol lipids [PR] Saccharolipids [SL] Polyketides [PK] - for each of these eight categories of lipids, an introduction and examples of each lipid category, with links to classification, examples of core structures, online drawing tools, and tutorials (MS PowerPoint)
- Biological functions: Membranes Energy storage Signaling Other functions - Introductions to key biological functions of lipids