|Common Name||Lipid Class [LIPID MAPS]||Abbreviation|
Specific rules for GL with known fatty acyl/alkyl constituents (molecular species)
- separator _: sn-position of acyl/alkyl constituents is not known. Constituents are presented in the order of increasing number of C-atoms, as are DB (DBE)-numbers for each C-atom number, e.g. TG 16:0_18:1_18:3.
- separator /: sn-position of acyl/alkyl constituents is proven (order sn-1/sn-2/sn-3; no FA linked 0:0), e.g. TG 16:0/18:3/18:1 or DG 16:0/18:2/0:0.
- When only one acyl chain of TG is known, it is presented in front of the sum of the remaining two acyl residues, e.g. TG 16:0_36:3.
- When only one of the sn-positions is defined, this is indicated inside a pair of parentheses, e.g. TG 16:0_18:1(sn-2)_18:0. Other bond types than ester bonds are indicated as follows in front of the sum of C-atoms for acyl/alkyl constituents:
- O = alkyl, e.g. TG O-52:3
- P = proven O-alk-1-enyl-bond (acid-sensitive ether bond in “neutral plasmalogens” is not counted as a DB/DBE within the alkyl-chain), e.g. TG P-52:3 or at higher resolution TG P-16:0/18:3/18:1.
- More than one "non"-ester bond is indicated in front of the bond type as d for di, t for tri, and e for tetra.
Hierarchical shorthand notation for examples of glycerolipids
Species level: Sum composition, Molecular species level: Lipid species with identified acyl/alkyl-residues, sn-Position level: Fatty acyl/alkyl constituents at glycerol backbone are indicated by a slash, Full structure level: Molecular species with constituents and functional groups including positions.
|Bond type||Species level1||Molecular species level||sn-Position level||Full structure level|
|Acyl||MG 18:0||MG 18:0||MG 0:0/18:0/0:0|
|Alkyl||MG O-18:0||MG O-18:0||MG 0:0/O-18:0/0:0|
|Diacyl||DG 34:1||DG 16:0_18:1||DG 16:0/18:1/0:0||DG 16:0/18:1(9Z)/0:0|
|Acyl-alkyl||DG O-34:1||DG O-16:0_18:1||DG O-16:0/18:1/0:0||DG O-16:0/18:1(9Z)/0:0|
||DG O-16:0_O-16:1||DG O-16:0/O-16:1/0:0||DG O-16:0/O-16:1(9Z)/0:0|
||TG O-16:0_18:1_18:1||TG O-16:0/18:1/18:1||TG O-16:0/18:1(9Z)/18:1(11Z)|
||TG O-18:1_O-16:0_18:1||TG O-18:1/O-16:0/18:1||TG O-18:1(9Z)/O-16:0/18:1(9Z)|
||TG O-18:1_O-16:0_O-18:1||TG O-18:1/O-16:0/O-18:1||TG O-18:1(9Z)/O-16:0/O-18:1(9Z)|
|TG-Estolide||TG 68:3;O2||TG 18:1_18:1_32:1;O2||TG 16:0;O(FA 16:0)/18:1/18:1||
TG 16:0;2O(FA 16:0)/18:1(9Z)/18:1(11Z)
2 Annotation using low resolution MS including the assumption of acyl chains only.